Who should I appoint as guardians of my minor children?

< Back
You are here:

Most estate planners nominate their parents, a brother, a sister or a friend as guardians.

In respect of parents their age is normally an important consideration.

The guardians are the persons with whom the children grow up and who will take important decisions in respect of the children, such as which school the children should attend. The guardians must be distinguished from the trustees, who are tasked with managing the trust assets and use the income and if necessary the capital of the trust for the benefit of the children.  The guardians and the trustees can, but do not have to be the same persons.  Sometimes an estate planner will nominate someone, who is proficient with financial management, as trustee and another person, who will properly look after the children’s daily needs, as guardian.

It is, at the end of the day, a personal choice, which every estate planner must make.

Volker Krüger

You can complete a will instruction sheet here:  Testament Instruksievel / Will Instruction Sheet


image_pdfSave as PDF
Previous Who should I appoint as trustee of the trust for my minor children?
Next Who should I appoint as executor of my estate?
Table of Contents