There are too many to list all the ombuds here but in particular bear in mind those ombuds with a wider than just one institution or industry player. We’ve compiled for you a list of some of the most important ones and their contact details (Name; Website; Tel. No.; Email; What areas they cover) –
- Public Protector South Africa: www.pprotect.org; 0800 11 20 40; email@example.com. Investigates complaints against government entities, with “the power to investigate, report on and remedy improper conduct in all state affairs. The Public Protector must be accessible to all persons and communities. Anyone can complain to the Public Protector.”
- Community Schemes Ombud Service (CSOS): www.csos.org.za; 010 593 0533; firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternate Dispute Resolution services for all participants in residential, commercial and industrial “community schemes” (sectional title bodies corporate, Homeowners Association complexes etc.).
- FAIS Ombud (Ombud for Financial Services Providers): www.faisombud.co.za; 0860 66 327; email@example.com. Complaints against financial service providers, including insurers, banks, insurance brokers (long- and short-term insurance), investment managers, and financial advisors and intermediaries. The FSCA (Financial Sector Conduct Authority www.fsca.co.za) also has a complaints procedure.
- Ombudsman for Long-Term Insurance: www.ombud.co.za; 0860 103 236; firstname.lastname@example.org. Complaints against subscribing insurance companies that offer long-term insurance products, such as life insurance and disability cover.
- Ombudsman for Short-Term Insurance (OSTI): www.osti.co.za; 0860 726 890 email@example.com. Complaints by the insuring public against short-term insurers offering motor, homeowners, household, travel, disability, credit protection, commercial etc. cover.
- Pension Funds Adjudicator: www.pfa.org.za; 086 066 2837; firstname.lastname@example.org. Investigates complaints against pension funds and their administrators, including issues related to benefits and investments.
- Ombudsman for Banking Services (OBS): www.obssa.co.za; 0860 800 900; email@example.com. Complaints against banks that are members of the Banking Association of South Africa.
- National Credit Regulator (NCR): www.ncr.org.za; 0860 627 627; firstname.lastname@example.org.Complaints against credit industry participants (including debt counsellors), working with and cross-referring complaints with the Credit Ombud (below).
- Credit Ombudsman of South Africa: www.creditombud.org.za; 0861 662 837; email@example.com. Complaints against member credit bureaus and credit providers, working with and cross-referring complaints with the NCR (above).
- Consumer Goods and Services Ombud: www.cgso.org.za; 0860 000 272; firstname.lastname@example.org. Complaints by consumers against members of the Consumer Goods and Services Industry (retailers, suppliers, importers, distributors etc.). Complaints relating to credit agreements need to go to the Credit Ombud (see above). If mediation fails or if a non-member entity is involved, complaints will be referred to the NCC (National Consumer Commission), www.thencc.gov.za.
- Motor Industry Ombudsman of South Africa: www.miosa.co.za; 010 590 8378; email@example.com. Investigates complaints against the automotive industry, including car dealerships and repair shops. If mediation fails, complaints will be referred to the NCC (National Consumer Commission), www.thencc.gov.za.
- NHBRC (National Home Builders Registration Council): www.nhbrc.org.za (Complaints process here); 0800 200 824; firstname.lastname@example.org; Not called an “Ombud Service”, but all home builders must be registered with the NHBRC and it will address and attempt to resolve all complaints.
- Health Ombudsman of South Africa: www.ohsc.org.za; 0860 104 146; email@example.com; Complaints against healthcare providers, including hospitals, clinics, and doctors. Lodge complaints here. Complaints can also be lodged against specific industry players to these industry bodies –
- Office of the Legal Services Ombud (OLSO): https://justice.gov.za/olso/index.html; 010 023 5501 or 076 235 9887; TRamuada@justice.gov.za or TLegora@justice.gov.za. Complaints against legal practitioners and the Legal Practice Council (LPC). Complaints must first be lodged with the LPC (complaints procedure here and provincial complaint forms here).
- Office of the Tax Ombud: www.taxombud.gov.za; 0800 662 837; firstname.lastname@example.org. Taxpayer complaints against SARS (South African Revenue Services).
There are many more – Google for any specifics.